Sunday, August 14, 2011

Exercising For Two: Prenatal Exercise



Anyone that knows me, knows that I LOVE TO WORKOUT.  I often fantasize about running all day long and wonder how far I could go before my legs would give out. While I enjoy exercise and staying fit, I am in maintenance mode while I protect my most treasured gift, my growing baby. The idea behind prenatal fitness is an easy concept to understand.


                          HEALTHY MOM = HEALTHY BABY.


Now that I am getting ready to have my 4th child, I have learned a lot of lessons along the way. Carrying around extra pounds in past pregnancies has taught me and my body some hard truths.

1. Being overweight can make for a bumpy 9 months. Some of you may be lucky and not have any issues, but others can relate. I reached my highest weight at the end of my 2nd pregnancy and had complications with pre-eclampsia. With my first 3 pregnancies I had high blood pressure and back pain throughout. I attribute these problems to excess weight. If you are reading this and not pregnant yet, get started on reaching your ideal weight. If you are pregnant & overweight, read on. You are not a lost cause just yet!

2. Being overweight and/or gaining too much = difficult recovery! Lack of fitness is the main problem here. Often we work so hard at preparing the nursery, but we fail to prepare ourselves for the BIG DAY. The fun exercise of childbirth is often compared to running a marathon. How many of us train for this extreme event?

3. If you thought losing weight before pregnancy was hard, try losing weight with a newborn! The extra weight gained during pregnancy seems twice as hard to lose as it did before. No sleep makes for a crabby unmotivated mommy. If you are nursing, it is even harder to lose weight because you have to maintain your calorie intake to support your hungry baby. It is not advised to start insane high-intensity workouts while breastfeeding. You will quickly find that if you workout too hard or too much, your supply will be in danger. But, I do encourage breastfeeding. Its free and the long list of benefits include those for both you and the baby.

4. PREGNANCY IS NOT A DISEASE!! The older I get, the more I stand by this statement. It's a state of mind that we should all reflect on. We all have symptoms during pregnancy, some of us more than others. While we may FEEL like it is a disease, we need to ask ourselves: "Is the pregnancy causing these issues or is it because we aren't as healthy as we should be?"  Chew on that for awhile!

5. YOU ARE NOT REALLY SUPPOSE TO EAT FOR TWO! Most nutritionists agree that you should really only consume 300 extra calories a day. If we ate for two, we would be consuming 1200-2000 extra calories a day. YIKES!! Step away from the twinkies, cupcakes, and sodas. Tell your hormones that this is not an all-you-can-see and eat buffet. Better yet, lock your kitchen. Seriously! After having an 11 pound baby and wondering if he would actually fit via natural methods, I really have to warn you (and remind myself) to watch your intake carefully.


WHY EXERCISE?

"Maintaining a regular exercise routine throughout your pregnancy can help you stay healthy and feel your best. Regular exercise during pregnancy can improve your posture and decrease some common discomforts such as backaches and fatigue. There is evidence that physical activity may prevent gestational diabetes, relieve stress, and build more stamina needed for labor and delivery" (WebMD, 2009).

Before embarking on exercise during pregnancy, talk to your provider first. Ask them what they recommend, especially if you are considering a new exercise program. Whether you start the pregnancy as a fitness guru or with no clue what a kegel is, you should be able to workout. Follow your provider's advice and do your own research as to what will work for you!

What should you be aiming for while working out? 

"The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommends 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise per day on most if not all days of the week, unless you have a medical or pregnancy complication" (WebMD, 2009). So with all that said, time to get busy!



Exercise Tips

1. Heart Rate--Gauge your exercise by how well you can talk. This will indicate how hard your heart is working during exercise. For example, if you can have a full conversation and still have plenty of energy to stop a stray cat from running into the road while facebooking about it, then you probably need to amp it up a bit. But, if you can't even breath, let alone talk, then SLOW DOWN. Do what feels right without going crazy.

Does your heart rate need to be a certain rate when working out?

According to Dr. Roger W. Harms, "Years ago, some experts recommended a heart rate of no more than 140 beats a minute for exercise during pregnancy. Today, however, heart rate limits aren't typically imposed during pregnancy. For healthy women, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity — preferably spread throughout the week — without any specific heart rate limits" (Mayo Clinic, n.d.).


2.  Track your exercise using internet software. There are tons of free apps on the internet. My personal favorites include LoseIt, MyFitnessPal, Livestrong.com, and MapMyFitness. These apps also help you track your diet too so you can see what nutrients and calories you are actually eating.

3. Find other preggo moms to workout with. This helps to hold you accountable.

3. Stay Hydrated and make sure you are eating healthy. Notice the difference in how you feel when you eat foods loaded with good nutrients versus foods with lots of fat, sugar, and calories.

4.  Listen to your body. Sleep when needed, Rest when needed, and try your best to be consistent.




Forms of Exercise

Pregnancy causes many changes in the female body, thanks to hormones. I highly recommend doing a good warm-up and cool-down to avoid injury. Taking these gradual steps will allow you to have a safe workout, day-in and day-out.


1.  Running/Walking--If you are a runner or walker, continue doing these things throughout pregnancy. How do you know when you should cut back? Listen to your body! It will tell you. With any of these exercises, don't be afraid to sweat during pregnancy. Well, don't be afraid to sweat a little MORE during pregnancy. In this pregnancy, I have perfected the Run/Waddle. I am late in my 2nd trimester and try to run at least 1-2x per week. Unfortunately, my body sometimes thinks differently. Whatever happens on the trail or treadmill, give it your best and be prepared to make adjustments as needed.

2. Yoga--I love yoga and wish I could do this more often. Yoga has many benefits during pregnancy. For example, it helps to improve your circulation, reduce swelling. removes toxins, and strengthens muscles and joints. I enjoy yoga because it helps with back pain and is a great breathing exercise. Its also nice because the music reminds me of getting a massage so I can quickly find my happy place. If you have kids, invite them to do yoga with you. My kids enjoy yoga and get pretty serious when the mats come out.  

3. Strength Training--If you haven't been using weights prior to pregnancy, then I would limit what you do during pregnancy. Otherwise, keep lifting weights. Focus on performing more reps and less intensity in your exercises. Watch for form and limit exercises that may place too much pressure on the abdominal and pelvic muscles.

4. Cardio--One of my favorite cardio workouts is the Elliptical machine. I really think that this was made for pregnant mommies. With any cardio, watch your heart rate and your ability to talk. If it is too painful or too intense, back off and take it easy. Another great cardio workout is ZUMBA. Zumba is not only fun, but a great way to workout the entire body. You can tailor moves to make them easier or more comfortable too. Again, if anything hurts or looks dangerous, don't do it.

6. Cardio/Toning Mix--I have quite a few DVD's that I enjoy. Most of these combine cardio with sculpting. If you go this route, find DVD's that have different degrees of difficulty (beginner, moderate, advanced). Also, find ones that are customized to your trimester. A few that I enjoy include:

Summer Sanders Prenatal Workout--this combines cardio with toning. You need bands for this workout and some pillows. This one is great because it has different workouts for each trimester. You can also choose a quick workout versus the full length workout.

The Perfect Pregnancy Workout Vol. 1--another great workout from a former Circue-du-Soleil performer. This workout is more sculpting than cardio, but your heart does get a workout. The exercises are grouped by fitness level and you can easily modify all exercises.


7. CrossFit--For those of you CrossFit ladies out there, there are great resources for you to continue your CrossFit journey. Check out CrossFit Moms on facebook for the WOD and other support. I have never done CrossFit but I am a fan of this intense workout/diet and the results speak for themselves.

8. Swimming--Many fitness centers have swimming workouts designed for Pregnancy. This is another great exercise that takes pressure off the back and joints while allowing you to get a great workout.




Happy exercising and thanks for reading my blog. If you like what you read, please invite others to my site. Don't forget to leave feedback!

Namaste,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment