Friday, January 6, 2012

Marathon Update...Keeping Calm and Carrying On


                Marathon Update:Gearing up for London 2012

Week 1 & 2 of Marathon training was a success!! Here is a recap of my activity. Sorry I have been away so long! Hard to juggle everything and find time to blog!!

Week 1 Activity Log
Monday--Rest
Tuesday--3.5 (Treadmill)
Wednesday--5 miles (+ 2 mile walk--not counted with mileage)
Thursday--Rest
Friday--Rest
Saturday--7.1 mile Group Run.
Sunday--3.5 mile run while the kids rode bikes.

Week 1 Total Mileage Ran = 19.1 Miles
Week 1 Training Plan Goal = 15 Miles (+ 4.1 Miles).


Week 1 Notes--Felt great. I was a little disappointed that I had to take extra rest days and not get in more crosstraining but that is life with 4 kids and a husband that works (did I mention that I have a 7 week old and teach online classes from home part time?). lol. I am just grateful that my husband is here and such a great support. I don't know how I would overcome that obstacle of being a single mom and still make it to race day with my sanity in tact. Somehow there are women that do this and still race the 26.2. God bless them and their resilience.

Breastfeeding/Body Analysis: No issues with nursing except not being able to stockpile my milk like last pregnancies. This makes me worry a little so I started on Fenugreek (at a low dose) and also started eating more oatmeal to boost supply. In addition, I am also keeping track of fluid intake to make sure I am properly if not overly hydrated. Hoping to nurse as long as possible and no other significant issues or pain (except that from looking in the mirror and seeing the extra weight leftover from the pregnancy). When I look in the mirror I need a tattoo on my forehead that reads "Rome wasn't built in a day..." to remind me to keep focused. Just like the Brits say...KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON. (not yelling at you but for emphasis). Sounds like a great 2012 Resolution if you ask me.


Week 2 Activity Log

Monday--5 miles (Outside)
Tuesday--Rest
Wednesday--3.5 miles (Outside)
Thursday--3.5 miles (Outside)
Friday--Rest (no activity)
Saturday--8 mile group run.
Sunday--6.2 miles (outdoors with company).

Week 2 Total Mileage Ran = 26.2 Miles
Week 2 Training Plan Goal = 16 Miles (+ 10.2 Miles).

Week 2 Notes:  I was feeling pretty good after the first week and decided to add more miles. Hopefully I don't pay for that later in training. My legs felt good even though I ran all my miles outside. In the past I have typically hit the treadmill during the week to help my joints and save on some of the pounding. The weather was cooler in Week 2 and I did notice some slight knee twitching on Wednesday's run which went away on Thursday. Felt like absolute crap on Saturday's run (probably a sign that I shouldn't have run so much this week) but went back out on New Years Day and felt wonderful. Who says that runners have to always be smart in training? I love to run and I have no regrets so insert any addict comments here! BTW, how many miles are you running? If you aren't then don't judge because I wear earplugs to all those that like to arm-chair quarterback.



Pace Notes: Not really sure about the pace. Let me rephrase...I don't really care about my pace. It is not my goal or focus to track my pace but it is steadily improving. I 'think' my first runs were 11 min/mile + but at last check they are consistently getting faster as my legs adapt and adjust to running AND as the weight slowly starts to come off. I think my runs are around 1030-1100 min/mile without too much strain or effort. I am trying to figure out my anticipated half marathon and marathon times and would be happy with a 11 min/mile pace for the half and sub 1130 min/mile pace for the full. My goal for the marathon is sub-5 hours. We will see. I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 which I have had for over 2 years and it is an excellent tracking tool and my best friend. It has way more gadgets and gizmos than I use it for but it gets the job done, is easy to use, and is Ol' Faithful.



Here is a motivating picture from 1 year ago. 8 months of training after having my 3rd child. Pictured here is my running partner and friend (who also had a baby and trained in 7 months). Together we ran our first marathon together and it will always be the most awesome experience to date!! You can train alone but it is so much better and way more fun to recruit some friends. Misery loves company, right? lol. Training partners really get in sync and we both spent time pregnant this year. She is due very soon and will be right behind me with her training. Look forward to running another marathon with her someday since continents can't separate true friends!!


Week 3 Activity Log...so far

Monday--2.5 miles (Outside)
Tuesday--3 miles (Treadmill) + strength training (Upper Body/Abs)
Wednesday--Rest (Not planned)
Thursday--Kickboxing Class followed by 3 slow Miles (Treadmill)
Friday--[goal--Rest--although might do some yoga to loosen up after kickboxing]
Saturday--[goal = 6.2 mile group run]
Sunday--[goal = 3-5 miles]

Week 3 Mileage...tbd
Week 3 Training Plan Goal = 15 Miles

Week 3 Notes...Having a great week. Feeling great and starting to get more sleep. Yay!! Started keeping a food journal and eating a lot better than previous weeks. Marathon training really forces you to pay close attention to your food choices or suffer the consequences! More notes on  Week 3 to come.

Thanks for reading!! This is the year for NO EXCUSES!! If you hit a road block, climb over it or tear it down. Either way, get on the other side and press on!!

Formula for success...

Exercise + Proper diet + Consistency = success! 


Blessings to you in the new year.

Cindy

4 comments:

  1. Just realized I ran 26.2 miles in week 2. Not intentional but funny. Gotta love marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love reading your updates. I think that picture of us will have to be my computer wallpaper for a while after I can start running again, as motivation to what I can do. It is hard to believe it was almost a year ago that we finished marathon #1. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you don't chuckle too much at my silliness! BTW, saw a girl in a running skirt tonight at the gym. I immediately thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your site in internet explorer, could test thisกK IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a good portion of people will miss your excellent writing due to this problem.
    Justrite Spill-Control Funnels; Funnel cover

    ReplyDelete