Friday, July 29, 2011

Green Monster Smoothies: Don't Knock It Till You Try It

I wanted to add one of my favorite smoothie recipes on my blog. A year ago, I joined the Green Monster Movement and commited to make my own smoothies without using the kits you find in the store. These kits are usually loaded with sugar on top of the fruit. I think it defeats the purpose to make a smoothie then load it up with lots of sugar. Plus, if you share this with kids, they really don't need any extra sugar. As part of the movement, I make my own Green Monster smoothie. Here is the recipe:

2 cups Spinach
1 cup Almond Milk (or any other milk you like)
1 banana
1/2-1 cup strawberries
Ice

Directions:

Place the ingredients into the blender in the following order: 1) spinach, 2) banana, 3) strawberries, 4) milk. The reason for this order is so the heavier ingredients weigh down the spinach and keep it from flying up around the blender and sticking to the side. Blend everything on the highest setting for 1 minute or so. Finally, add ice and blend on the ice setting. Enjoy!

Side note: For my sugar-lovers--add a little honey or vanilla extract if you like it sweeter. Even with the extra honey, its still better than ice cream or many other 'treats'. Also, you can add frozen fruit versus the fresh fruit for an easier mix.


Why do I drink these smoothies?

1) They are filling and I don't have that need to eat for several hours after having one.
2) So healthy and good for you. This is loaded with all the 'good' stuff. This is great to make after a strenous workout to aid in muscle recovery and repair.
3) Endless supply of energy. This is loaded with protein and will help you stay productive during the day or at night. Make this as a dessert and rest assured that you won't be looking for a snack the rest of the night.
4) The kids will love it. Build up how cool it is because it is green. Even my son loves it and he is not a big veggie lover.


You can find more twists and other Green Monster recipes on the following website. http://greenmonstermovement.com/?page_id=39.

1 comment:

  1. I will try this .. it sounds really good. I know I have a bad habit of snacking and I find that when I juice some veggies and fruits I am pretty full and have tons of energy. I am definitely going to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete